There’s a lot of advice out there for parents on how to cut car insurance costs for teenage drivers, but there’s a question that’s still unanswered: Is the cheapest car insurance always the best option? Below, Coast Auto Insurance Services Inc will discuss how to get your young driver the coverage they need without paying too much.
Cutting Coverage to Cut Costs: Not Always a Good Idea
One of the most commonly suggested ways to save on insurance for teenage drivers is to reduce or eliminate some types of coverage. Every state’s minimum liability requirements are different, and sticking with the state minimum can save you money-;but it can cost you more in the event of a claim. Before making a decision, consider these factors:
- Drivers 16-19 are over four times more likely to be involved in an auto accident than more experienced drivers
- Teenagers cause about 30% of all accident related injuries
- New drivers are very likely to be involved in a crash within their first year on the road
- These statistics aren’t meant to scare you, but they should be a reminder that teenagers are more vulnerable behind the wheel.
How to get a Good Deal on Car Insurance for Teenagers
- Add your teenager to your current coverage-;it’s more cost effective than buying a separate policy.
- Don’t allow your teen to drive a sports car. They may want a hot rod, but sportier models are much more expensive to insure than basic family cars and minivans. These aren’t the most stylish vehicles on Earth, but they are much cheaper to insure.
- Pick a safe car. Insurance premiums are lower for vehicles with abundant safety features, such as antilock braking, shoulder/lap harnesses, front and side airbags and stability control.
- Stress the importance of good grades. If your teen keeps a B average, you might be able to get up to a 20% discount.
There’s no denying that insurance for younger drivers is expensive, but there are ways to cut costs. By following the tips above, you can save on Auto Insurance in Santa Cruz without leaving your family vulnerable to high medical bills and car repair costs that can come from not having the right coverage.