The main problem that you may have with your hinge door is that it obstructs space in your home that you could use for other purposes, or that you would prefer to remain clear for aesthetic reasons. Many homes that are built will install a hinge door for every room except for the exit to the back patio, which is usually a clear, windowed sliding glass door. In reality, using variations on the sliding glass door inside the home is much more functional and often more aesthetically pleasing than using the hinge door. Here are some reasons why:
- A sliding door works better than a hinge door because it saves space. You may be partitioning off a dining area in the kitchen, a washing machine and dryer, or a small basement bathroom; a hinge door is invasive. A sliding glass door does not, obviously, open into a room.
- A sliding door, no matter what material it is made of or how it slides, cannot be obstructed by other obstacles, such as furniture or people. You can open the door without worrying about knocking over a toddler on the other side, or without having to push against a piece of furniture that may sit too closely to a hinge door and make the passageway difficult.
- A sliding door can certainly be left open due to human negligence, but if it is, it will not be slammed to and fro by the wind, or by children passing through.
- A sliding door is much more accessible to someone who is in a wheelchair, on crutches, or has difficulties with mobility.
- A sliding door offers an aesthetic aspect to functionality as it can keep an area light and open while still providing privacy.
You might have read to this point with an image in your mind of the sliding glass door that provides an exit into your backyard, and you may be scratching your head wondering how that can be implemented inside your house, and in fact how it could replace a hinge door. There are many different kinds of interior sliding doors that do not even remotely resemble the sliding glass door you have in mind. Interior sliding doors are available in a multitude of materials, sizes, shapes, designs, colors, and textures. Finding interior sliding doors that fit your taste and home décor can be an innovative way to improve the quality of your home.
Thanks to innovative design by The Sliding Door Co., today’s sliding doors come in clear, frosted, laminated, or linen glass with clean, contemporary frames in a variety of finishes and a number of striking designs. We’ve set a new standard, and in the process we are changing the way people design and decorate their homes and offices. So when you’re looking to upgrade your home, or to replace your hinge door in your condo, loft or office, visit http://www.slidingdoorco.com/help/locations to find a showroom near you, or email firstname.lastname@example.org