In the state of New York, issuance of an order of protection can be against individuals in criminal court or family court. An order of protection attorney Suffolk County, NY provides legal representation to an individual in court in a case involving an order of protection. In a family court, an order of protection is usually issued against an individual by a family member especially if they were once spouses.

You need to know that there are many lawyers in Suffolk County, who represent individuals in these cases. If you are looking for a lawyer, you need to do a background check to know their performance record and get to know the legal fees they charge. In both the criminal and family courts, a judge can issue and order of protection against an individual in his or her absence after which the individual is given the chance to appear in court to try and oppose the order through the requesting a hearing.

A Family Court Attorney Suffolk County, NY represents an individual in the family court in a case of order of protection. You need to know that there are two types of orders of protection. These are

  • Stay away order

The stay away order of protection makes sure to order an individual to stay away from the other temporarily. This can be until the hearing is held or for a longer time after the ruling of the judge. Orders of protection in family court can be for 1 to 2 years.

  • Refrain from

This order of protection does not order the defendant to stay away from the plaintiff. However, it makes sure to inform the defendant to refrain from a specific act or conduct in relation to the defendant.

Order of Protection Attorney Suffolk County, NY can help you get an order of protection against an abusive spouse to drive them out of your home. In addition, such an order can prevent an individual from seeing his or her children. If you feel that you are about to have an order of protection issued against you, you need to hire a good lawyer to represent you legally in court. Whether you are seeking to file a petition for order of protection or you are opposing one, you need to seek professional advice from a lawyer.

Be the first to like.